As part of this year's Winterpeg programming, Winnipeg Trails has teamed up with Storefront Manitoba to launch a snow fort competition! Grab a team, grab a shovel, and help us make Winnipeg into a whimsical winter wonderland!
Before registering, please read the competition description and guidelines below.
You will need to choose between two streams:
A) The Community Stream OR
B) The Design Stream
The community stream is open to anyone and everyone i.e. school groups, sports teams, families, neighbours, friends, and more.
1. Assemble your team.
2. Choose a site anywhere across Winnipeg.
3. From February 1st – March 31st, post your progress and final photos to social media and tag #cooldigs @winnipegtrails @storefrontmb - this is how to submit your entries for the jury's consideration.
4. Register your team and site at the link below before March 31.
5. Win cool prizes! Including weekly feature prizes and grand prize winners.
February 1st - March 31: Submit progress and final photos to win weekly feature prizes and to be entered to win grand prizes. To submit, post your photos to Instagram and tag #cooldigs @winnipegtrails @storefrontmb
March 31: Deadline to register your Community team and site and deadline to submit photos on Instagram.
We are looking for design-minded individuals to come forward with imaginative proposals for the "coolest" Winnipeg winter forts. Selected projects will be featured in a map for the Winter Cities Conference from February 15-17.
1. Submit your proposal at the registration link below before January 20.
3. A jury will select 6 winning proposals who will be awarded a $1000 honorarium.
4. Build your fort before February 15.
5. If your project is not selected, we encourage you to enter the community stream!
We are asking designers to help us celebrate winter by proposing an alternative to the traditional winter fort. The structure could be many things: minimal, complicated, innovative, provocative, active, passive, fun!
FORMAT: one 11x17” PDF, landscape format, 300dpi resolution
Include first and second choice of site
Project Summary: 100 to 150 word text describing overall design idea
Images with annotations (sketches, renderings, photos etc.)
Please do NOT include team name on your proposal document, as they will be evaluated by a blind jury.
January 20: Deadline for submission of proposals.
January 23: Announcement of winners.
February 15: Deadline to build winning entries.
Q: Is there a limit to the number of people on a team?
A: No -- if you want to get your whole school involved, that's great!
Q: What are the prizes in the Community Stream?
A: Weekly feature prizes will be merchandise from Winnipeg Trails, Storefront Manitoba, and friends. Grand prizes are cash and a pizza party for the winning teams.
Q: Can I add decorations to my fort?
A: We ask that you only use ice and snow in your fort so that you leave no trace of the fort after the snow melts!
If you can’t find your answer, feel free to email email@example.com